Re: [stella] Tetris brainstorming

Subject: Re: [stella] Tetris brainstorming
From: Jan Paul Schmidt <jps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:11:30 +0100
Andrew Davie wrote:

> Eckhard Stolberg wrote...
>
> > I think you are right about the original version of Tetris. But most
> > versions of Tetris use different colours or patterns for the different
> > pieces. You can't really have that on the VCS. But by highlighting the
>
> [snip/snip]
>
> Uh... maybe you can.  A long time ago I placed a 4-colour playfield demo on
> the list.  I think it could be used for displaying varying coloured tetris
> shapes, all stacked up.  It could certainly be used for displaying
> individual pieces in different colours on the same line.  I'm sure it's
> possible.

Intersting thread. Reminds me of something I tried last year :o) But I
did not make it to have more than six different colored blocks in a row
using a big sprite routine. There were of course 8 pixel width and a bit
too large for a Tetris playfield on a 2600. It should be possible, to
have seven in a row when playing with the background color and maybe
eight when using the playfield. Hm, can't remember if I already used the
playfield combined with the big sprite routine. But for a real tetris,
you need ten in a row. Up to now, I had no idea, where to get the other
2 colored blocks. And then there still will be the 8 pixel blocks, which
is a bit too big in my opinion. I already thought about interlacing, but
I dislike this kind of trick.

jps