Re: [stella] Jumpman gets a go!

Subject: Re: [stella] Jumpman gets a go!
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:59:58 -0500
In message <200102090219.f192Jcb21623@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob writes:
>At 10:01 AM 2/8/01 -0500, Chris Wilkson wrote:
>>Platformers would be a great thing to implement in a Megacart.  ;)
>
>Yeah, the Superdupercharger or similar had occurred to me, since there are
>few enough 12 and 16K games out there that you don't want to be ripping
>them apart for homebrews.  But is the design generalized enough that you
>can just replace the RAM with a ROM?  Wouldn't it be priced out of the
>homebrew market regardless?

Wow...you do ask the tough ones, don't you?  :)

Actually, Randy is making 16K games using new boards.  So you don't have to
kill 16K carts for parts.  These are standard 16K ROM...no extra ram.

The Megacart design is just about as generalized as it gets...you have 128KB
of ROM space, and 32KB (maybe up to 128KB) of battery-backed RAM.  You can
partition your 4KB space anyway you want (in 1KB blocks).  I don't have the
spec in front of me right now, and I'm really short on time, so I can't go
into details.  But try doing a search for "Megacart" in the Stella Archives...
maybe in the 1997 time frame?

Regarding price...I am *ever* mindful of our market.  Otherwise, I'd have 20
projects on the market instead of the back burner.  :(  I think at the time,
I was looking at about $15 per board, and I was trying for $10.  I think at
the time I was trying for a retail price of $25 or less.

Would you pay $25 for a game with a couple hundred unique levels?  And a level
editor built in?  One that let you save your own levels?  (HINT! HINT!)
I would...  :)

Ahem...
(wipes away drool)

-Chris