[stella] pseudoplayers

Subject: [stella] pseudoplayers
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 02:33:36 -0800
At 10:27 AM 2/12/2001 +0100, you wrote:
Uhm... now you're confusing me :-)
Could you be just a bit more precise, what exactly you're going to do?
(A missile offset for every line would of course be up to 192 bytes RAM)

The missile offset would only be stored for the lines the missile is being displayed. Probably 6-8 double-scanline high lines. I don't think there would be enough time to update both missiles' positions in single scanlines. The cars I don't have to worry about because they are positioned once per frame. So I have to juggle updating the playfield and positioning the two missiles.

The idea is to store the missile graphics as a series of width and offset numbers like so:

RUNNING ANIM
FRAME 1:

shape           width   offset
0000111100      4       4
0000111100      4       4
0000011000      2       5
0011111111      8       2
0000111100      4       4
0000111100      4       4
1111111100      8       0
0000001100      2       6
0000001100      2       6
0000001111      4       6

RUNNING ANIM
FRAME 2:

shape           width   offset
0000111100      4       4
0000111100      4       4
0000011000      2       5
0011111111      8       2
0000111100      4       4
0000111100      4       4
0001111000      4       3
0001111000      4       3
0000011000      2       5
0000011110      4       5

These would only have to be stored in ROM, actually. The RAM would only be a pointer to the appropriate frame of animation. Unlike the players I'd have to manually store the mirror images to get these pseudoplayers able to move in both directions.

-