Re: [stella] Qb: Latest version v0.01

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb: Latest version v0.01
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:29:41 +0100
Andrew Davie wrote:

> As always, any comments/improvements welcome.  I sure would like to know
> that some of you are actually following the devlopment of this thing!
> Cheers

Cool! Looks as usual better every day, Andrew!
Hehe, my Hiscore is 345400, try beating that! :-p

One thought: Maybe it's a bit early for fine-tuning, but it plays very
slow. When the sprite jumps from one block to another, you're
half-asleep before it lands. (Ok, might be a problem of my system here.
It's Windows 2K on 800 MHz and Z26 works way slower here, compared to my
P133/W95 at home. Strange, isn't it?)

Some minor things to improve I find in your code:

- Initialisation:

Replace:
        lda #0 ;D1                 ; reflect / score
        sta CTRLPF

        lda #$FF
        sta level
with:
	dex
        stx level

(CTRLPF is already '0')

--- bgcol1 & pfcol1 would do as well as equates, saving you one byte
immediately and one byte where ever you access 'em.

--- InitCubes
Replace:
        lda #0
        sta TargetDisplay+8
        sta TargetDisplay+9  ; SLIDING TARGET AREA

        sta Grid
        sta Grid+1
        sta Grid+2
        sta Grid+3
with:
        lda #0
	ldx #$5
ClearTG	sta TargetDisplay+8,x
	dex
	bpl ClearTG

--- CreateTableaux
Replace:
CTab    jsr Random

        tay
        and #3
        tax

        tya
        lsr
        lsr
        and #3
        tay
with:
CTab    jsr Random
        and #3
        tax
	jsr Random
        and #3
        tay

--- CreateTableaux
Replace:
CheckGrid

        lda Grid,x
        and TargetBit,y
        beq EnterPosition

        dey
        bpl CheckGrid
        ldy #3

        dex
        bpl CheckGrid
        ldx #3
        bne CheckGrid
with:
CheckGrid

        lda Grid,x
        and TargetBit,y
        beq EnterPosition
	bne CTab

--- InitCubes
Replace:
        lda PlayerCube
        and #%11111000
        ora IC_FedCubeIndex
        sta PlayerCube

        lda PlayerCube+1
        and #%11111000
        ora IC_FedCubeIndex
        sta PlayerCube+1

        ldx #0
        jsr TieToCube                   ; tie player to it's cube
        ldx #1
        jsr TieToCube
with:
	ldx #$01
PCube   lda PlayerCube,x
        and #%11111000
        ora IC_FedCubeIndex
        sta PlayerCube,x
        jsr TieToCube
	dex
	bpl PCube

Ok, I'm running out of time now... hope that frees some bytes for you...
I'm scanning further through the code next time I've some free
minutes...
Hope it helps a bit

Greetings,
	Manuel