Re: [stella] GunFight 2600: One Limit Reached!

Subject: Re: [stella] GunFight 2600: One Limit Reached!
From: Manuel Polik <manuel.polik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:33:19 +0100
Glenn Saunders wrote:

> At 05:09 PM 2/14/2001 +0100, you wrote:
> >changed the colors. Now the sprites look exactly like
> >     Pat Garret & Billy the Kid.
> >4 - Enabled the Missile to display something that, nearly but not
> >     totally, looks different than a pistol (#1

> Are you going to be able to change the player color on the fly so that the
> missile on the other side of the screen shows up as black throughout the
> entire height of the screen?

I've a complete scanline now for adding features like this. It is
definitely intended to do so, in fact it was one of the reasons for
switching to a two-line kernel.

> Also, if the missiles are the guns, what's going to be the bullets?  Are
> you going to flicker the ball?  That would work okay although you'd have to
> be a bit concerned about collision detection.

Cool. This is exactly what I plan.
Maybe I'm not gonna use the built-in collision detection at all. Instead
I might calculate a collision myself just via the coordinates of the
bullet & the cowboy.

> Also, what do you plan to do as far as obstacles are concerned?  You may
> have trouble implementing a shootable cactus or stagecoach as Outlaw
> did.

If it works out like I planned, you will have your shootable catus
and(!)/or coach.
(If I've enough ROM in the end, you might even be able to shoot your
oponents hat off :-))
But, most naturally, it'll flicker when more than two sprites are in
line horizontally...

> Maybe the reason Outlaw has quad-width sprites had to do with not
> having to update the sprites as often vertically because of the demands of
> the playfield bitmap updates.

Outlaw has the complete playfield stored in the RAM, using 4*$18 bytes
for that. Plus, the playfield is only drawn every 6th line. Should give
you lots of cycles for a better-than-quad resolution.
It's just bad designed / adopted to the VCS' abilities. This is no
wonder, since it was David Cranes first 2600 game and generally one of
the first 2600 games at all. And it had of course to fit in 2K only.

Greetings,
	Manuel

-