Re: [stella] Qb: v0.03

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb: v0.03
From: Kurt.Woloch@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:58:07 +0100
Andrew Davie wrote:

>Attached, latest version of Qb (v0.03).

>I've upped the
>speed of everything so it looks reasonably OK on my version of Z26.  Runs
>like the devil on my (old) PCAE.

Hm. Ah, well. By now I downloaded your Atari 800 original (together with an
emulator), and tested it.
So... the jumping speed seems to be fast enough now, while the floating is
still too slow. In the original, you could float across the whole screen (3
positions) in about one second. Here it takes three or four seconds to do
that. I think you have a delay of 15 or 16 frames built in for every "step"
of floating, which in my opinion is too much and should be reduced to 4
frames for proper speed.

>I'll be interested to hear how this version works for others on various
>platforms/emulators/hardware.  Comments PLEASE, anyone?

Well, it works for me on Z26 under DOS. Jumping still looks a little
strange, and, as I said, some things are too slow, including the flashing of
the target blocks (which also don't flash together, but seem to go on and
off independent from each other).
There also were some things in the original which I'm still missing here
(apart from the creatures):

1. Bonus counting
2. Diagonal jumping
3. Blocks already being in the level when you start it

Also, when you've completed a level, I think the final stage should be
briefly displayed too, instead of instantly going to the next one when the
target arrangement's reached. Even in the original, I personally think this
is going too fast.

With love (and many versions to test)
Kurt Woloch

P.S.: Was the original version ever tested on a NTSC Atari 800 or similar
machine, or only on PAL ones? The emulator was set to behave like an NTSC
one by default, and this makes the screen jump horribly!!! Don't know if
this would also happen on a real one, though...

<<application/ms-tnef>>