Re: [stella] GunFight 2600: One Limit Reached!

Subject: Re: [stella] GunFight 2600: One Limit Reached!
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:04:44 +0100
Manuel Polik wrote:
> Changes:
> 1 - assimilated all of Thomas' superior knowledge and put it
>     straight into the kernel

Well, you almost did, but i think it's my fault. I'll try to exlain my tip #3 by example.

In your code, you do something like:
nextLine:
    TXA
    CLC
    SBC verPos
    ADC #$13
    TAY
    BCC SkipDraw
    LDA (playerpointer),Y
    STA  GRP0
    DEX
    BNE nextLine

What i meant is something like that:
    tya
;    CLC                        ; i think you already eliminated this
    SBC verPos
    ADC #$13
    BCC SkipDraw
    LDA (playerpointer),Y
    STA  GRP0
    dey
    BNE nextLine

Notice that i didn't change Y, i'm directly using the line counting value. You "just" have to change the pointer variables and realign your data ;-)
The example only saves 2 cylces (you're doing this twice), but it frees X for something else.

For your missile problem, i'd suggest the following trick, which can be found in the Combat listing:

    ldx     #ENAM1
    txs
    cpy     M0line
    php
    cpy     M1line
    php

You can use this for the ball too.

Have fun
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

Die Fachpresse ist sich einig: WEB.DE 18mal Testsieger! Kostenlos E-Mail,
Fax, SMS, Verschlüsselung, POP3, WAP....testen Sie uns! http://freemail.web.de

-