Re: [stella] Qb: v1.00 (alpha #1)

Subject: Re: [stella] Qb: v1.00 (alpha #1)
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:59:23 +1100
> >You have a weapon.  Press the fire button, and it throws nasties off the
> >screen.
>
> Er... you didn't have that in the Atari 800 version, did you?

Yes, though it only worked on a creature about to kill you.  I'm using my
poetic licence in the interpretation and implementation of this conversion.
It's close, damn close... but not exact.

> They don't go away by themselves, don't they?

Yes, but it takes some time - and currently the just go poof.  I want an
animation to show them 'leaving'.

> >When you land on a cube with a nasty on it, you lose a life.  Same if a
> >nasty lands on your cube.
>
> ...which can happen VERY quickly here.

Speed is a problem.  I'll have a think about the possibilities.  But really,
you need to learn how to avoid being in a situation where you can get jumped
on.  Stay away from creatures.... learn what they do and when they're likely
to jump on you.  And keep your finger near the trigger :)    You can jump on
the eggs before they hatch... you even get points for that... trick is, be a
bit late and you land on a creature :)

> Where did the heart go?

I didn't like the graphic, and I needed some space.  So, I'm pretty
heartless.....

> know what you're doing. Maybe you could lengthen the time that the
creatures
> appear as an "egg"?

Yes, easily.  But it is timed so that if you are in an adjacent cube,
getting to a hatching egg is easy... but two away and you have to be
real-quick.  I like the timing as it is now.  But I'll be listening to all
the feedback, and adjust what I can to give a nice difficulty graduation.

I would like to hear from those notables who have actually released a
cartridge (Bob Colbert, Piero Cavina, Thomas Jentzsch, ?? ) what advice they
would give regarding release.  Did you make any of your own cartridges.  Did
you release through Hozer... if so, what are your thoughts now its over.
Would you do anything different?  What sort of royalty did you get for those
carts made by others.... is piracy a problem?  Did you make ANY money....
has it brought you fame and women?

Cheers

see my Museum of Soviet Calculators at                  (            \
http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html              \    __     /
                                                              @--> v

-