[stella] And now, for my next trick...

Subject: [stella] And now, for my next trick...
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:12:24 +1100
I have two projects in mind, but can't really decide which to do.

a) The Core.  Rembember 'The Core'?  A guy called Paul Oswood - about two,
three, years ago... pulled a major scam with his game 'The Core'.   See
http://www.plethora.net/~paulo/thecore.html  Took a lot of money from
prospective buyers, then just disappeared.  Well, I really liked the game
idea when I first read about it - and now that I know a lot more about the
2600, I'd really like to see this game come out.  And so I thought... why
not do it myself?   There's a pretty good game description, and even a
screenshot.  Fake or not, its a good place to start.  I figure this is the
game that really wants to be made, and I've even got the new title ready...
"enCore".  Paul can hardly complain... !  I'd use the joystick and/or
paddles for control - but most everything else would be exactly the same.

b) Life on Mars.   An implementation of John Conway's life (in at least a
32x32 - or possibly up to 40 x 64 - grid).   All in orangy/red colours, and
tied in with the recent claims/discovery of fossilised life-signs in the
martian meteorites discovered in Antarctica.  I am aware that I don't have
enough memory to store 40x64 bits...  but I still believe it is possible to
achieve this resolution.  I thought one could install some of the pretty
neat patterns as template/library objects, and whilst this project wouldn't
exactly be a 'fun game' - it would be pretty cool, and a nice tie-in to the
recent discoveries.

So, what do you guys think about these.  Which would YOU like to see?

Cheers
see my Museum of Soviet Calculators at                  (            \
http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html              \    __     /
                                                              @--> v

-