Re: [stella] And now, for my next trick...

Subject: Re: [stella] And now, for my next trick...
From: "Andrew Davie" <adavie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 12:22:40 +1100
> Don't forget that you also need to store TWO copies of the grid at all
> times... the current grid, and the next-generation grid. If you just use
> one, the pattern smears in the direction of your update algo, and it
doesn't
> work right.

I dispute the above assertion.   As long as you keep the a couple of lines
intact (ie: buffered), and work downwards.... I don't see any reason why one
copy of the grid won't work.  In fact, I'm sure it will.  Grab a line, check
above.. (using the buffered line), check below, etc....  when you've
calculated your new line... write the buffered line to the grid, copy the
new line to the buffer, and proceed to do the next line.  The algorithm
would never see the 'new' grid, it would always be working with the 'old'
one.

Cheers

see my Museum of Soviet Calculators at                  (            \
http://www.taswegian.com/MOSCOW/soviet.html              \    __     /
                                                              @--> v