Re: [stella] The Core revisited

Subject: Re: [stella] The Core revisited
From: Russ Perry Jr <slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:39:05 -0600
At 9:47 AM -0800 3/10/01, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>[I] wrote:
>>The damn thing is, I'm still not convinced it was intentionally a scam.

>I'm convinced the game was written.  The screenshots looked authentic to me.

This is essentially what I believe...

>It wasn't designed to be a scam, not that it makes a difference.

Might mean the difference between jail and public service.  :-)

>It's just that at some moment he decided he wouldn't or couldn't deliver
>the product, and pocketed the money or forgot about us.

It's quite possible all the stories about his daughter were true, for
which I would feel bad, but still, no reason to rip off earnest folk.

>I still think the game could be released if someone managed to track the
>guy down and give him a guilt trip.  He might release the ROM image.

This is the angle I'm trying.  One lead may have panned out to a small
effect -- I'll keep on it to see where it leads.

At 5:27 PM -0500 3/10/01, Erik Mooney added:
>I think his game kinda wound up in the same boat I did with INV - he got a
>ways into it out of curiosity about 2600 programming, and then got bored
>with it when the coding got more tedious than fun, and the code got harder
>and harder to keep a handle on.

The difference is, you didn't take preorders.

>I'd bet that he does have a ROM in
>prototype/beta form, though not a finished game.

Probably true.

At 5:49 PM -0800 3/10/01, Lee Krueger added:
>He didn't FORGET about us. He ripped us off. Maybe not intentially at first.
>The way I figure it, he took about $3000 (if he took money for all 50 carts).

I'm not sure that many sent money in though.  Maybe, but I doubt it.  Did
anyone ever make a list of those cheated?

>He took our money fruaduantly, regardless of his intentions.

That IS the gist of it.

>Just gert me a valid address I can send to the WA State DA's office..

I'm working on that.

>and a baseball bat ; -)

Now now, if anyone's going to drive over to his house, IL is closer than
WA.  :-p
||  Russ Perry Jr   2175 S Tonne Dr #114   Arlington Hts IL 60005  ||
||  847-952-9729    slapdash@xxxxxxxxxxxx    VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR!  ||

-