Re: [stella] Hacking the Supercharger ROM

Subject: Re: [stella] Hacking the Supercharger ROM
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 23:20:02 -0800
At 10:54 PM 3/15/2001 -0800, you wrote:
Yes, it does. Using the same method to access RAM that you would in a Supercharger game.

I should clarify something about what I said above. It doesn't just sit there and poll 1FF9 constantly, it sets a timer and then checks the state of 1FF9 at the end of that timer. That way it can do other things like assemble the byte and write it to ram, increment the address, compute the checksum, adjust the playfield and audio, etc.

Keep in mind that it doesn't actually draw a proper screen during this time. Thus the bars are kind of unstable.

I really regret not having interviewed the Starpath guys for Stella at 20, otherwise I'd have found out more about this... I was close to assembling them, but it didn't work out. I'd have really enjoyed finding out more about how the design came to be. It's even more minimalistic than I thought--very inkeeping with the 2600 itself. All these years I thought dedicated hardware on the cart decoded the audio AND wrote to memory.

-