Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Not mergeable with Colbert wizardry...

Subject: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: Not mergeable with Colbert wizardry...
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:26:44 +0100
Bob Colbert wrote:

> You can double or triple your overscan cycles by dividing your code among
> frames.  I did it with my code across 3 frames.  I found that even reading
> the joystick every 3 frames was still very responsive!

Yup, I've noticed that you do that.

I even think that some of the routines could be optimised by not doing
bubblesort, but by working with indexed lists instead. Then, one could
for just keep the list sorted.

Speaking in terms of the purpose I'd intended to use the routine, I'd
not add a bullet to the list and then sort it, instead I'd just insert
it on the place where it belongs. So I'd need just one run through the
list and not X-1 iterations with bubble sort.

Another thing is this, once the whole list is sorted and every object
moved one step, you'd just run once through the list swap some objects
and it's very unlikely that you'd need to do X-1 iterations again.

But still, I don't think I could merge this stuff into my game. I'd say
the main game type for these routines is where you'd have a
non-flickering player vertical separated from all other objects floating
around. Just like in the yet to finish game of yours, where's lots of
enemies floating around on the whole screen, except on the base, where's
the non-flickering cannon.

There's other objects merged in the area where you do your magic, that's
the missiles, displaing the bullets from the cannon.

I'd not only have one missile object, but 2 multi-colored sprites & two
PF objects and I really doubt that it would work.

Greetings,
	Manuel

-