Re: [stella] SCSIcide 0.04

Subject: Re: [stella] SCSIcide 0.04
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:49:31 -0800

Here's my take on the game design...

You need to inspire people to play the game. By itself, being a hard drive head is not very inspiring. It might be educational, but educational games tend not to be that much fun. The most important thing to do is to give people a challenging and rewarding play pattern.

I think what you've got here is a play pattern that has shades of Pac Man, Stampede, and Defender. I would focus on what's going to happen within the main portion of the screen. Do you want to have anything visual show up there or will you simply be using the indicators to navigate around?

I just think that being a hard drive head is not as exciting as being a cowboy or a weird gobbling creature. The world that the drive head inhabits is too sterile and lifeless. That's why Tron was cool, because it was a more fantasy-like, humanized interpretation of the inner workings of a computer network.

If you don't go that route, then I think you might consider taking the play mechanic and changing the setting to something more accessible, colorful, and lively. For instance, the mostly lateral warparound scrolling play mechanic lends itself very much to Defender-like games with the radar.

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/