Re: [stella] Supercharger games on a cart

Subject: Re: [stella] Supercharger games on a cart
From: Erik Mooney <emooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 20:55:16 -0400
>Lance at Video61 is interested in getting the Starpath games modified to
>run from a cartridge.  Cyberpunks really can't help him here, but someone
>else on the list might, which is why I'm opening this up to the list.
>
>He's interested in getting the games to run without the need for an audio
>source, so it may be a rather complicated hack.  I thought Atari was

Hm.  What you'd need is to copy 6k of ROM into 6k of RAM to run the
program, and of course duplicate the Supercharger's bankswitching and
read/write logic.  Is the Supercharger ROM used for anything other than
the audio load?  If so, you'd have to duplicate that too.

Have you and he thought of having the implementing Supercharger RAM and
ROM on a pass-through module?  You'd plug a cartridge with 6k ROM for a
game into the pass-through connector, and at bootup the Supercharger
module would copy that into RAM.  If his customers can handle that
technically, that would significantly lower production costs, and it's
almost identical from the programming viewpoint.

Can't really figure out how to do the multiload games in any version of
this, though.

-