[stella] How to break into the game business

Subject: [stella] How to break into the game business
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:55:07 -0700
Check out this link:

http://www.lupinegames.com/articles/path_to_dev.html

I've been trying to explain to people for some time why writing 2600 games makes sense today, and I think this article helps to show why.

Although it isn't saying you should write your game for a classic platform, it does say to write classic styled games. I wish it pointed out the need to try something original, as the world doesn't need yet another breakout or Tetris clone, but there is a difference between developing game programming rather than game design skills, I guess.

I have a friend of mine who would like to be a game programmer but he wants to write an Everquest clone and I keep telling him "try something minimalistic that one person can pull off" and he just can't accept that. He likes the big budget immersive games but it's not viable for an individual to pull off.

For anyone who wants to finish a game themselves, they've got to stick to classic style minimalistic game worlds. When you're done with the game, I think you're probably going to get a better reception of the game is on a classic platform rather than the PC. The expectations are so different...

--Glenn

-