[stella] Gunfight 2600: The Final Kernel part 2

Subject: [stella] Gunfight 2600: The Final Kernel part 2
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:11:09 +0200
Hi there!

Hehe, of course I had to work on the kernel once more :-)

Ok, actually the new version is _fully_ playable, giving you already all
the requested/suggested modes, except the duell.

The drawbacks this time are:

- No fast bullets on shootable targets. Collision detection (or should I
say collision assumption? :-)) already is a nightmare with the slow ones
and practically impossible with the faster ones.

- No more other haircolors than hatcolors. that little effect simply
wasn't worth 22 Bytes.
...I was young and needed the RAM...

New features are:

- Full and (99%) working collision detection for everything. There's a
little bug in it, where players can score points without even shooting,
which I hope to be able to eliminate...

- Full iconized mode / score display

- Integrated the 6-shooter amunition boxes from top/bottom *into* the
playfield. I managed to reinstall the ball for that. Don't ask me how I
did it, I spent more than 10(!) hours on that damn kernel to teach it
that trick... I'd even to remove the second STA WSYNC...

- I rewrote almost everything else of the game, so if you tried to
follow the source developement so far, I'm sorry :-)

- Hope you noticed that I actually integrated a 'Xype' logo as a
playable level :-)

- Use 'select' to cycle through the modes, they are:  standart-shootout
-> 6-shooter -> escape -> score-hunt. I hope the icons are
self-explainable, tell me if not.

- Use switch 'B' for a (dummy :-)) AI ON/OFF (Hey, it's still a demo...)

All in all I worked some 50+ hours into this version, hope you see some
of the benefits...

Please give me some feedback on how you like the modes, make your
suggestions , find bugs other the one I mentioned...

Please give me some additional thoughts on two aspects:

- 4 or 2 bullets at once in the escape scenario?

- Shall I do a death sequence every time a cowboy is hit, or would you
rather have a faster gameplay with a death sequence after 10 hits or
something like that?

And - I'm thinking about music.

I'll definitely do a cover of 'Ring Of Fire' by Johnny Cash. I have to.
I love that song... :-)

Any other suggestions? (Ennio Morricone is to complex for the VCS and I
think doing the x.th version of the High Noon theme would be boring,
too...)

Greetings,
	Manuel