Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: The Final Kernel part 2

Subject: Re: [stella] Gunfight 2600: The Final Kernel part 2
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 10:36:08 +0200
Hi Piero!

> >All in all I worked some 50+ hours into this version, hope you see some
> >of the benefits...

> Congratulatiosn, it's a quite impressive work.
> I think that with this kernel you would be able to do a "Breakout" mode :-)

Uhm... actually I'm planing something like that :-)

A real breakout won't work though, unless I'd totally change the moving
routines of the bullets. The problem is that I'm moving the bullets one
diagonal space at once. This means I've no information if the bullet hit
horizontally or vertically.

- So I simply can't tell wether I've to bounce it horizontally or
vertically.

Next problem is that I flicker the bullets and they continue moving when
they're invisible...
...they don't *collide* then...

I'm sure these problems can all be solved by some rock-hard collision
assumption/analyzing via the coordinates. After I've seen all the work
that was necesary to make the obstacles shootable even _without_
bouncing the bullets, I just refuse to do that :-)

But what I probably can do is something like this:

A non-shootable non-moving obstacle like this:

****    ****     Y1
****	****
****	****	 Y2

****    ****     Y3
****	****
****	****     Y4

X1 X2   X3 X4

Now, whenever A bullet hits one of the X coordinates I'd bounce it
horizontally and on the Y coordinates vertically. You see, it's a rather
simple solution and I can just hardcode that one obstacle into the ROM.
If the obstacle was shootable, that simple trick obviously wouldn't work
anymore...

I'll toy around with that soon...

> >- Shall I do a death sequence every time a cowboy is hit, or would you
> >rather have a faster gameplay with a death sequence after 10 hits or
> >something like that?

> I would make the hit player fall on his bottom for a couple of seconds.

I'll do a mixture of yours and Joes sugestion plus a little secret thing
that just popped into my mind... :-)

> Nice idea.. and why don't you call the game "Ring of fire"? :-) "Gunfight"
> is just too obvious..

Hm... then I'd need a Ring Of Fire level...
I'll think about that.

BTW: Another thought I recently had was doing the duel-sequence with a
90° shift. That's more like scenes in the movies and will hopefully
please Glenn a bit after I rejected this idea at an earlier stage of
development :-)

Greetings,
	Manuel

-