Aw: Re: Aw: [stella] Calling all...

Subject: Aw: Re: Aw: [stella] Calling all...
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:41:57 +0200 (CEST)
Eckhard Stolberg wrote:

> between this price and his fee is, he will send to you. I think for a
> normal 4K game he currently charges $5 for the parts, $1 for shipping
> inside the USA ($4 for outside the USA) and $5 for his work. Therefore
> he suggest a 'royalty' of $5 for you too.

Hm... so for every four games of mine he sells, he can send me another
homebrew one, so I'm soon to play Oystron, TPS & Thrust on the real
thing :-)

BTW: There's some PAL <-> NTSC business I don't understand. It's maybe a stupid
     question, but is there a hardware difference between a PAL & a NTSC
     console?

I mean, I bought that NTSC console via eBay. At least the seller
assumed that it was NTSC. So I hooked it onto my TV and got a stable picture
and some crappy noises instead of proper sound. Now, what I was expecting from
a NTSC console was more a rolling picture and normal sound, so I now think
its not a NTSC console but a broken PAL one. hm... how would I find out for
sure?

> The big benefit of this method is that you as the programmer keep
> all the rights to your program. I think most of us hobby programmers
> here are very reluctant to give up control over our programs, at
> least for the small compensation that the market would allow some
> cartridge maker to offer.

Yep. That's it exactly. I really don't mind doing it for free as long as
it's all mine.
(Just in case someone got a different impression lately :-))

> The other benefit of Randy's method is that by modifying existing
> cartridges and putting simple inkjet labels on them, he can keep
> the costs per cart relatively low.

Oh-oh... you're saying that he is cannibalising? I wouldn't like the
idea of another cartridge being destroyed for a game of mine, even
if it was Combat.
(Hm... maybe if it was 3D-Tic-Tac-Toe... :-))

> I would want my games to be played by as many people as possible.

Yep.

Greetings,
     Manuel

-