Re: Aw: [stella] Calling all...

Subject: Re: Aw: [stella] Calling all...
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:11:53 -0400
At 01:26 PM 5/14/01 -0400, Chris Wilkson wrote:
>PS.  Did Randy raise his royalty payout?  It used to be $5 per cart sold.
>I thought.  Or does he renegotiate royalties for each separate author or
>game?

Randy will charge whatever you want over and above the 11 bucks he charges
for a 4K cartridge (I assume the same is true for the more expensive 8K
carts.)  Even so, selling 26 carts through Randy isn't so farfetched and
you still retain the copyright on your work.  In my case, it means I can
still release it under the GPL, an self-imposed requirement for any
original stuff I do outside of work.

I can see someone wanting to compete with Randy (by offering boxes, shinier
labels or whatever) though I don't really think it's necessary.  But I
can't imagine someone wanting to give up the rights to a VCS game at this
point in time, when writing games is much more about fun and ego
gratification than money.

Rob

-