Re: [stella] Calling all...

Subject: Re: [stella] Calling all...
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 08:28:46 -0400
At 03:44 AM 5/15/01 -0700, Glenn Saunders wrote:
>It's true that the biggest cost in making these carts is the
>packaging.  Color inkjet is great but it's water-based and it runs like
>crazy (as my poor EBVision boxes can attest to).  Nothing beats the

I used a 3M laminating sheet on top of an inkjet label for my vanity
Pac-Man cartridge, which I had Randy not label for me.  I wouldn't dare try
the water test, though the plastic should repel the water, that's the point
of laminating sheets, but it actually looks considerably better than the
conventional labels on my "real" cartridges from the early 80's.  The
photos on my page don't really do it justice.

The only problem I see with this method is that I use a Canon inkjet and
I've noticed that exposure to sunlight (I've made car window decals on it)
eventually turns every color green.  I assume 20 years of room lighting
could have a similar effect.  But there's an Epson now whose inks
supposedly won't fade under normal room lighting conditions for 200 years,
so maybe there's hope.

If anyone wants to try this, the 3M sheets are part number LS854-10 (got
'em at Staples) and I used Avery "made for color ink jet" full page labels.
 I printed the label, laminated it (including the backing), used an exacto
knife to cut the top and end labels to size, removed the backing and the
laminate that was covering it, and applied the nice glossy-looking labels.
You could possibly do three fabulous-looking 2600 cart labels on one
full-sheet label.  I have to admit my teenage fake ID making skills came in
handy but it's really not hard ;)

>I do think that the market for this kind of stuff is a lot larger in
>theory, but the awareness isn't there, and may never be.  For instance, if
>Randy showed up as a guest of Jay Leno's or something, his sales would
>probably go through the roof.

I have seen him mentioned here and there in "slow news day, let's cover
video game nostalgia" type articles around the country.  Admittedly not on
Leno, but if it keeps up a couple more years I could see one of the
syndicated TV news services doing a human interest feature on him ;)

>So for all intents and purposes I think we're stuck with the level of sales
>we're seeing now.

That you can still sell anything for a 24 year old console is amazing.

Rob

-