Re: [stella] Infogrames considers Atari 2600 B-Side release!

Subject: Re: [stella] Infogrames considers Atari 2600 B-Side release!
From: "Erik J. Eid" <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:59:55 -0400
At 11:52 AM 6/5/01 -0400, Christopher A. Haslage wrote:
I am Christopher A. Haslage, co-owner of Haslage Net Electronics. My company is in the development stage of making a game for the Gameboy Advance, called "Atari 2600 B-Sides" (tentative title). Infogrames has indicated that they will allow use of certain Atari titles in the product, and have encouraged further development of the concept.

Welcome, Christopher, and thanks for bringing us good news. Anything that keeps the Atari 2600 games in the public eye keeps interest up, which is good for us enthusiasts and might also increase support for homebrew projects.

A lot of good games have been mentioned so far. I'd like to add a few suggestions of my own...

I'd bet a number of GBA owners would enjoy sitting down for a quick solo card game to pass a short time. There aren't many card games for the 2600, but I think Activision's Bridge might be good to include. Board games might also work, so Backgammon, Othello, Video Checkers, and Video Chess could be considered (though all four would probably be overkill).

I also think including a lot of the later-era Atari games would be good since they weren't as widespread as the earlier ones. This includes Solaris, Desert Falcon, Jr. Pac-Man (Namco hasn't included it in a Museum, so far as I know), Road Runner, and Secret Quest.

Including some of the limited-edition games from Atari Age might also attract some people: Crazy Climber, Quadrun, Video Cube, etc.

Outside of Atari's own products, going with well-received but rare arcade adaptations might work well. Q*bert's Qubes comes to mind, particularly because I don't think any home versions of that came out since the first one.

If it's possible, adding a save battery so you could save a game in progress, like some emulators allow, would be very useful. This would let you play the longer adventure games, like the Swordquest series, without having to commit a large stretch of time.

Here's a fond wish: have somebody complete the 2600 Tempest and put it in the collection. Having a marquee game like Tempest would attract buyers, particularly because it was never finished.

Thanks for listening to us!

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/