[stella] A timing question...

Subject: [stella] A timing question...
From: "Christopher Rydberg" <solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 04:30:25 -0000
Hey everybody,

I'm working on a little program for the 2600 and have a few questions relating to timing and NTSC/PAL stuffs.

How can I make a timer that lasts roughly 1 second in real time but is not frame based in it's timing so that it functions independently of frame rate?

Is the internal timing of the machine cycles based on the television's timing? i.e. machine cycles last a different anmount of real-time on NTSC vs PAL VCSs. Anybody?

I'm trying to make a little program to use as a header for a game I'm working on that would automatically detect NTSC/PAL format and adjust within software to suit the setup it's facing. The problem is I'm not sure if the TIM timers are based on the machine cycles which are based on the television's speed or if the timers are independant of the television. My idea was to write a simple "frame" and loop it. Then I set a timer for around 1 second. When the timer hits zero I check the number of "frames" that have accured within that second to determine NTSC or PAL by way of framerate. I believe PAL is 50 per where NTSC is 60 per. I figured this should be relatively easy but I'm uncertain about the timing issues. If the machine cycles are indepedent of the frame rate than it's easy (I think), but I'm not sure. Help please.

Christopher Rydberg solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx afterlife.100megsfree4.com