Re: [stella] Program..

Subject: Re: [stella] Program..
From: "Christopher Rydberg" <solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 12:10:35 -0000
Hey,

How come anyone has never decided to build an Atari 2600 Game Design
Program?!

A lot of people are going to put it more elequetly than me, but here's my answer. Because of the relationship between the 6507 and the TIA and all the cycle counting mess that has to take place in order to make a really interesting game I suspect that the creation of any sort of quick and easy system would be next to impossible. I am trying with Afterlife to make a nice editor to ease the programming process with a few nifty tools and automatic cycle counting, but the 2600 is just too tempermental to be squezed into a completely automated system like that. Shifting one little STA WSYNC can utterly destroy a program and I suspect that no automatic programming system can be smart enough about system recource management to be able to make even a crappy game. That's just my opinion though.

Christopher Rydberg solitaire0@xxxxxxxxxxx afterlife.100megsfree4.com