Re: [stella] [Poll] What is everybody working on?

Subject: Re: [stella] [Poll] What is everybody working on?
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:47:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Christopher Rydberg wrote:

> AI Classic - A portable video game system compatible with the Atari 2600.
> This   is on indefinate hold while I figure out how to do it.  I have alot
> down on paper, but need to get together some plans from which to get it
> manufactuered and then get it manufactuered.  This may happen, it may not.
> It mostly depends on whether I can find the people to make the schematics
> for it.  I was trying to work with Ben (the VCSp guy), but he hasn't mailed
> me back in awhile and doesn't seem interested in working with me on it.
> I've also tried K. Horton but I've gotten no response from him yet.

Hey.  I told you weeks (months?) ago that I'd be willing to help...I'm
just busy as all get out!  I guess you didn't get the message.  :)

I've never gotten a reply from Ben Heckendorn (I think I misspelled that)...
I've emailed him with offer of help, with tips, with "I want one" messages,
but no response.  I want to believe that he's just extermely busy, but
frankly, I was and still am quite offended.  (We're talking months of
delay here.)  Kevin Horton has always answered my emails, though sometimes
slowly.  He's very patient and helpful.

> Duel of Dragon and Tiger - This is going to be my first attempt at a 2600
> title.  It is a fighting game somewhere between the arcade classic Gladiator

Sounds cool.  Also sounds ambitious...I hope to see this for Christmas!

> NTSC/PAL Auto Detection code - As part of developing DoDaT I was irritated
> the box (yes it will come in a nice plastic case like Genesis/Mega Drive

I think that the console switches are under utilized.  Unless you plan to use
every one of them in your game, you should consider using one for a PAL/NTSC
switch.  Oystron does this and it works beautifully.  I think it would be
cool to have an autodetect feature, but if it's depending on timing bugs
inside the TIA, I think it's risky.  And you can tell the guys who wrote
Cosmic Ark and Galaxian and all the others that I said so!  ;)

Seriously though, I think these bytes might be better used for game features.
I don't know which method would waste more bytes.  I think at this point,
RAM is a bigger concern because there are 32K ROM boards available.  What
do people think?

> The Last Just Cause - If a deal can be struck I will likely make an attempt
> at an RPG game based on a recently written text adventure called The Last

I think someone should try to do a text adventure using teletext.  The problem
there would be that not all TV's support it.  And I know my C=1702 monitor
doesn't!  :P  Will your port be text based, or graphic adventure, or full
graphics RPG?  Anyone know if there is a King's Quest type game for 2600?

> Blank Cartrdige Depot - On the Afterlife website I am setting up a BLank
> Cartridge Depot to support the homebrew community.  If I ever get it

You know where I stand here...it's all good.

> 2600 carts as well.  Perhaps Jaguar, Lynx, and Vectrex.  These howver, will

Don't leave out the 5200 and 7800.  There is "active" development for these
systems too.  You might also consider Atari 8-bit platforms as well.  It's
much easier to develop for disk, but not everyone has a drive.  :(  Ah...big,
big plans.

> Developer Aid Center - Also something for the Afterlife website.  This will
> feature a series of tutorials, code bits, and links that try to explain
> enough of the basics of 2600 programming to get anyone going on a 2600
> project.

I really like this idea.

I think the most important one that is missing right now is "How To Move A
Sprite With The Joystick".  That might be a little too high level for what
you have in mind...but it's mostly a hint for people who have one of these
sitting around to make it available someplace other than Stella archives.

Something that would be really interesting is starting with "How to Draw a
Playfield" and incrementally building up to Combat.  Even doing it in a full
4K would be great.

Heh...and then you could have a section on optimizing code, to trim it down
to 2K!

> are 2532 chips.  Does anyone have a picture of a 2532 chip?  I don't know
> what they look like exactly and don't care to get screwed for a big chunk of
> money ordering some useless chip.  Help apperciated.  Later.

As far as I know, they look just like a 2732 eprom.  A 600-mil, DIP chip
with a "glass" window.  But don't take my word for it.  Ask Randy Crihfield.
I think he uses them, so he should know.

-Chris

-