Re: [stella] vcs net play ?

Subject: Re: [stella] vcs net play ?
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 18:10:31 -0700
Have you ever tried NESticle? The real cool thing of this NES emulator
is, that you could actually play _any_ NES 2-Player game via LAN
(possibly via the internet too, but we used too play via LAN only).

I don't see how it's possible, really. Even if the games were 100% deterministic, then you'd still have to pause the emulations in order to keep them lock-step in sync. Once you add in randomization routines on both ends, the games will deviate.

You really need to build games with network play from the ground up.

The only games I could see working would be turn-based 2-player board games where the graphics are a static UI waiting for input. Checkers and such.

Ok, ok. But consider this: Every single game playable over the net on
the real thing would have to be either programmed from scratch or modded
from an already existing one...

That's what this mailing list is for!