Aw: Re: [stella] vcs net play ?

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] vcs net play ?
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:30:11 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Glenn!

> >Have you ever tried NESticle? The real cool thing of this NES emulator
> >is, that you could actually play _any_ NES 2-Player game via LAN
> >(possibly via the internet too, but we used too play via LAN only).

> I don't see how it's possible, really.  Even if the games were 100%
> deterministic, then you'd still have to pause the emulations in order to
> keep them lock-step in sync.  Once you add in randomization routines on both
> ends, the games will deviate.

Hm... maybe NESticle was years ahead, even still from nowadays emulators,
but I remember playing 2-player matches of 'Dr. Mario' with it via LAN
for endless hours, without it ever going out of sync.

(And in theory it'd definitely have randomization on both ends... ask
the NESticle author how the trick is done. :-))

> You really need to build games with network play from the ground up.
> The only games I could see working would be turn-based 2-player board games
> where the graphics are a static UI waiting for input.  Checkers and such.

Hm... NESticle can do _any_ 2-player NES game via LAN, trust me. We played
Dr. Mario, Ice Hockey, Mario Bros. and several other games, never
experiencing any problems.

> >Ok, ok. But consider this: Every single game playable over the net on
> >the real thing would have to be either programmed from scratch or modded
> >from an already existing one...

> That's what this mailing list is for!

I wouldn't spent hours into making a net playable Combat, when for some
more effort one could possibly do all existing and future 2-player games
at once.

Greetings,
     Manuel

Noch nicht im Urlaub gewesen, jetzt aber los!
http://www.nexgo.de/c/pub/redir.php/yo3

-