Re: [stella] Closed Captioning revisited

Subject: Re: [stella] Closed Captioning revisited
From: "Thomas Jentzsch" <tjentzsch@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 11:32:35 +0200
Steve Goss wrote:
> The Text on UK TV transmissions is Teletext.
> Its transmitted with the TV signal, and sits above the TV picture (if you
> roll the TV display down you can see the changing data.
> UK TV's have teletext decoders built in that display the data as text frames.
> Its a bit slow but really pre-web useful!

In Germany we have something similar called VideoText. Each page is numbered (from 100 to 899) and each pages can have subpages. VideoText is also used to display subtitles for deaf people.

I think, it's just a different name for the same (I can read the english pages on EuroSport, an european sports channel).

Looks like a standard for PAL systems. Maybe closed captions is the same for NTSC?

There exist two VideoText specifications. The newer one allows more text-based graphic-effects, but is still compatible with the old one.

I don't know how closed caption works or looks, maybe someone could show this?

Have fun!
Thomas
tjentzsch at web dot de |

IhrName@xxxxxx, 8MB Speicher, Verschluesselung - http://freemail.web.de