Re: [stella] vcs net play A0?=

Subject: Re: [stella] vcs net play A0?=
From: Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 21:54:14 -0230
On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:18:09PM -0400, Erik Mooney wrote:
> .. and that is, of course, precisely the killer issue... not even on a LAN
> can you synchronize two emulators within 0.063 milliseconds (I was off by
> a digit before).

Well, there are a lot of tricks you can do to make it less sensitive to
those issues, although none of them perfect, obviously. For example,
caching machine state at each ``critical point'', and using a sliding
window approach to communicating with the peer. It cause some undesirable
``warping'', but it might not be as bad as you think depending on the
frequency of input reads compared to graphics refresh rate and network
latency.

I agree, however, that client-server by far makes the most sense in
this case -- I just don't think that peer-to-peer is impossible.

--
  -/
 |/|  Julian Squires <tek@xxxxxxx>
 /-