Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 16:26:57 -0700
BTW, would anyone be interested in a web page about how the TIA works at a
fairly fine detail level, or would this be redundant?

I'd love to see this. I couldn't get to that level in Stella at 20 but I really wanted to.

I went to great pains to scan in and composite the chip masks but that's still not as useful as the schematics.

BTW, for the few who may be interested, the dot-com collapse has drained most of my interest in developing gamedevelopers.net, at least as a for-profit venture, but I still have the hosting (CF & SQL) which I'm looking to put to use for things like this.

Static pages on Geocities are pretty limiting.

Also, I'm going to attempt to re-create the TIA using some programmable logic, with some "options" like getting rid of those nasty lines on the left side of the screen, as well as other things such as true RGB outputs instead of the bastard child video circuit the TIA uses :-)
<<

Just be careful to make sure the timing is duplicated properly otherwise a lot of games will break in the process.

I'm just hoping that I will be able to pick out gates and flipflops, and if
so it shouldn't be *too* tough to figure out.

You're not the only one with plans for these schematics. Why not pool our resources to avoid any sort of reinventing of the wheel?