Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy
From: Chris Wilkson <ecwilkso@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 00:58:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Mark De Smet wrote:

    (Kevin wrote...)

> > There's only one way it's gonna be done and that's through an FPGA.  It
> > would be impossible to make a true custom chip since the required
> > quantities are pretty low.

Not necessarily.  Kevin, you mentioned custom chip service that sounds
similar to the one I was looking at.  I'm sure their are others.  Sorry,
but I don't have your message any more, so I don't remember the details.

> Agreed.  But it would be really nice to share the code in development, and
> the final version. :-)

Well, I was planning on doing this.  I was going to document the process
beginning with actual chip photos progressing through FPGA development, all
the way to custom CMOS layout and manufacture.  I have to do this in the
form of a written thesis anyway, so I had planned to do it in a tutorial
fashion.

But to tell the truth, the project is getting really crowded.  With this many
people working on it, separately or on a team, it really doesn't seem that
it's needed any more.  In fact, I don't think any 2600 hardware is needed
from me any more...many people are gonna write games, and they can all be
different and entertaining.  But their are only so many circuits to build,
and limited ways to build each one.  And with the new interest in 2600
hardware from people who have much more time and money to throw at the
problem, I just don't see a place for me to exist in the hobby.

Maybe I'm just having a crappy day, but I think I need to find a new
project and probably a new hobby.

-Chris

-