Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Maze Craze and 650x

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Maze Craze and 650x
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:30:14 -0400
8/20/2001 4:16:17 AM, cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Is anyone working on Arkanoid?  I was thinking that might be my next
>> project if I ever get this project off the ground.
>
>Again - Cool! I think this is a surprisingly unexplored
>field of 2600 gaming. Most of those cool features that both
>Arkanoids and Krackout and other *modern* Breakout clones
>introduced are still missing on the VCS...

Arkanoid's harder than it seems.  You can't really do the colorful tiled brick
boards; the best you can do is the Super Breakout lines, and good luck
trying to highlight blocks as grey and gold.  You'll have a very hard time
displaying any more than three balls -- which is the limitation of the first
Arkanoid, but the sequels could have dozens.  Don't know how you'll display
more than two falling capsules, and dunno how you'll manage all those
objects while also rewriting the playfield a bunch of times per line.

Of course, I've been proven wrong before when I've said that stuff can't
be done on our little machine... :)

-