Re: [stella] Maze Craze?

Subject: Re: [stella] Maze Craze?
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 10:43:47 -0400
8/20/2001 1:30:53 AM, Paul Slocum <paul-slocum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Does anyone have Maze Craze commented?  I'm working on a game with an
>asymmetric playfield.  I got the playfield to work fine, but I'm running
>low on cycles for anything else.  I think I've squeezed just enough cycles
>out to handle reading the paddles and displaying one player graphic.  Maze
>Craze has an asymmetric playfield, and on some game variations appears to
>use both players, both missiles, and the ball.  How did they do
>that?  Also, is there an archive of disassembled games somewhere?

If you want, you can take a look at my INV source available in various places
including my own page http://www.dos486.com/atari .  That's gotta be close
to the most complicated playfield processing ever done on the 2600, although
I'm not sure how relevant it'd be for you.

On the face of it, it looks possible.  Six playfield writes can be done in eight
cycles each, and the PHP trick can be done in about ten, so make it a two-line
kernel and that covers it.  That doesn't include reading the paddles, of course.

-