Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy

Subject: Re: [stella] Re: 2600's TIA & the TV Boy
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 09:01:32 -0400
At 06:06 AM 7/29/01 -0400, nj bloodline wrote:
>than it's 10 Activision games. If you search on eBay for "Super TV Boy III"
>or similar you'll find the same thing as that Toymax thing with 127 games or
>more built in! Most of them are the same old Atari 2600 games, but renamed
>something similar.

The advantage the Toymax would have is that it's actually licensed and
could therefore show up in Wal-Mart or Target just as parents enter last
minute Xmas panic mode.  But I've heard of plenty of unlicensed stuff
showing up in Wal-Mart in the weeks before Xmas, like those NES TV boy
equivalents with "100 games in 1" that are actually 16 games with a bunch
of different patches applied.

Nonetheless, if Toymax did get into the correct retail channels at prices
competitive to the unlicensed ones, they could definitely move 10,000 of
their incomplete 2600 clones.  Some of them will end up in closeout like
any other novelty electronics, but my original premise as stated was
flawed.  I should have said "new original hardware", because the Toymax is
really just a non-grey-market version of the TV boy concept.

None of which has any positive bearing on homebrew hardware, apart from
making a rather limited $100 version of the VCSp easy.

Rob

-