Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Maze Craze and 650x

Subject: Re: Aw: Re: [stella] Maze Craze and 650x
From: Erik Mooney <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:36:00 -0400
8/21/2001 5:53:37 AM, cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>NOW we'd have enough RAM to display 6 balls with Bob's
>multiplexing algorythms, so we could have 6
>almost_non_flickering Balls displayed using only one object.
>
>...but then all the repositioning needed within the
>multiplexer killed the idea again before I finished typing it...

This brings to mind an idea I've had for a while but haven't actually
tried implementing.  Is it possible to use a multiple-branching kernel
via an indirect jump to time RESPx writes without having to use an
entire scanline to position an object?

What I mean is something like this.  Offscreen, you do some calculation
and store into SpritePosition (value 0 to 10) and HmoveValue.  You have
a table set up in ROM for BranchTable (values for the addresses for the
Kernel# labels).  Then you do this during the kernel:

	LDY SpritePosition
	LDA BranchTable,Y
	STA KernelBranch
	JMP (KernelBranch)

Kernel0	STA RESP0
	do other processing like six playfield writes
	LDA HmoveValue
	STA HMP0
	JMP EndLine

Kernel1	do playfield write #1
	STA RESP0
	do playfield writes 2-6
	LDA HmoveValue
	STA HMP0
	JMP EndLine

Kernel2	do playfield writes #1-2
	STA RESP0
	do playfield writes #3-6
	LDA HmoveValue
	STA HMP0
	JMP EndLine

[etc]

Kernel10	do playfield writes #1-6
	LDA HmoveValue
	STA HMP0
	STA RESP0

EndLine	STA WSYNC
	STA HMOVE

The Kernel# labels vary the position of the STA RESP0 by equal to
or less than 15 pixels between them, so you can use HMOVE to get
the object to any position on the screen.

So you've positioned your object by using lots and lots of ROM, but
only 28 cycles all told (including the last HMOVE).  Much less than using
a full 76 cycle scanline.

Is this feasible?  Has it already been done anywhere?

-