Aw: [stella] Vault Assault

Subject: Aw: [stella] Vault Assault
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:21:33 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Brian!

First I'd like to thank you for offering the source & the bin now
for us to review. But one thing I think is sad is that...

> Of course, if you have ideas for gameplay improvements or other general
> optimizations, please feel free to post them to the list.

... you didn't do this _before_ selling the game on cartridges.

I'm sure that Vault Assault could've become a much better game than
the neat 5-minute-break it now is. Currently it's offering less
than the bonus-scene of Cosmic Ark I'd say when asked to be truthful.

There's so much I could think about improving the gameplay, I don't
even know where to start.

- Enhancing the game to the diagonals
- More & different enemies with different behaviours.
- Bonus objects (allowing you to fire in two directions
  at once, for example)
- Smart bombs
- A stage/level concept
- Multicolor
- ...

That's more the rather obvious things I'm missing, I'm sure there's
a lot of room for finetuning and details (A 'Fire' animation of your
own ship for example... stuff like that...)

Currently it looks so rushed, like to have it finished at all costs
before the CGE...

Take SCSISIDE for example, which has a neat & simple idea. Yet even
the gameplay was finished almost from the first playable version on
Joe still spend a lot of time to tune & polish it according to the
feedback he got.
And I think it was worth all the effort in the end.

All the best homebrew games went through this process, Thrust, Qb,
Oystron & TPS wouldn't be what they're now, without this constant
push from the feedback of dedicated people...

Greetings,
     Manuel

Neu: Die Lern-, Spaß- und Erlebniswelt von Nexgo für Kinder
von 4 bis 12 Jahren können Sie jetzt kostenlos testen:
Klicken Sie einfach hier und ermöglichen Sie Ihrem Nachwuchs
den Vorsprung in der Informationswelt von morgen.
http://www.nexgo.de/family/kinder.php

-