Re: [stella] Brazil

Subject: Re: [stella] Brazil
From: Mauricio Tadeu Alegretti <malegretti@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 10:06:59 -0300 (ART)
> This is a priceless scan.

Thanks! Well, in fact you can thank my friend, Marcus Garrett, who actually did
the scan... mgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> Were these just resells of PAL Superchargers or Supercharger clones?

They were clones... the only authorized reseller of anything related to the
2600 here in Brazil was Polyvox (which sold the console, and the Atari and
Activision carts).

> If they are clones, they ripped off Starpath's ad graphics!!

That kind of piracy, unfortunately, is a very common practice even today here
in Brazil.

> This is so funny.  It looks like some guy in Brazil reverse engineered the
> encoding, dumped ROM images, and created his own encoder (ala Makewav) and
> then exploited the fact that you can run most 2 and 4K games on the thing
> by pirating them off.

Well, one thing to note is that, AFAIK, the Canal3 supercharger is not
compatible with the original one's games. It only loads the 2600 normal carts,
and doesnt provide the extra RAM the original does.

> And the Comp K7 is like a prototypical Cuttle Cart, handling larger cart
> sizes...

Yep. We are eager to put our hands on one of this babies, only to see their
design implementation. It surely is very different from the original.

> I wish we knew about this before the Stella CD came out because it would
> have been a great addition to the data portion.

Well, if you want I can try to get more info about it for the version 3 CD...
:-D

And as far as original ideas go... here we have the Megaboy too. The info on
Atari Headquarters is somewhat wrong: it indeed went into production, but did
not sold very well at the time. Anyway, it's not an easy to find item here, but
definitely not a rare one too: I own one, in fact. A very good product, in
fact.

See ya!

=====
Mauricio Tadeu Alegretti

|  mauricio@xxxxxxxxxxxx    |  malegretti@xxxxxxxxxxxx  |
|     www.atari.com.br      |    pagina.de/alegretti    |

Yahoo! GeoCities
Tenha seu lugar na Web. Construa hoje mesmo sua home page no Yahoo! GeoCities. É fácil e grátis!
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/