[stella] Playfield ram usage

Subject: [stella] Playfield ram usage
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 12:21:35 -0700
While the approaches mentioned are innovative, they wouldn't work for Death Race.

Even if you only had 32 maximum tombstones per wave, in theory, they could all occur on the same row at once.

What I was thinking was generating the 4 bytes of memory every 8 or 10 pixels for each row by looking up data in an expanding list describing the tombstones rather than encoding the entire screen in a bitmap.

I can see the encoding being put into some sort of array describing the row and position of each tombstone as well as a total number of tombstones for each row (to loop over).

Since you could potentially have every bit set in a row, or 1 or more bit set in every row, it's hard to come up with an encoding scheme that is efficient in all cases. You can't assume anything will always be blank, but you know that a large portion of the screen will be blank (i.e. wasted RAM).

By Day - Web Developer - http://www.eUniverse.com