Re: [stella] the B. Watson's problem...

Subject: Re: [stella] the B. Watson's problem...
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 19:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Manuel Polik wrote:

> The Tie-Fighter is cool, I like it too.
>
> I just had some time to look at the demo and think it looks quite
> promising so far. I especially like the overlay-technique you're using.

I've always liked overlaid sprites on the Atari 800, but it's a lot easier
to do there... The only thing that bugs me about the way I'm doing it on
the 2600 is that I'm wasting a scanline, doing a STA RESP0 on one scanline
and a STA RESP1 on the next (I tried doing them on the same scanline, but
I haven't yet figured out how to do this...)

> Will you do double and tripple enemies on the rows?
> Is the jump-movement of your own ship and the one on top on purpose?

jump movement? Do you mean the odd-looking wobble at the extreme left of the
movement area? That's not on purpose... If you mean you're seeing the players
jump around in other places, that's not on purpose (and doesn't happen on
		the version of xstella I'm testing with)...

The double/triple enemies would be easy enough to do, the hard part will be
telling which of the 3 enemies on a row you shot and adjusting NUSIZ*
appropriately (and offsetting... if I shoot the leftmost enemy, and just
		set NUSIZ0/1 to draw double instead of triple enemies, I would see the
		enemy on the right disappear instead of the one on the left...)

I might possibly be able to use multiple RESP0's per line to draw the
double/triple enemies, as soon as I learn how to do that (will experiment
		tonight)

> The laser position looks odd sometimes too... :-)

Hrmmm... it looks OK on my emulator... can you describe what it's doing?

Are you using an emulator or a real VCS? I haven't (yet) got the ability
to use a real 2600 for testing, though I'm probably going to get a cheap
eprom burner and rip up some old Combat carts :)

Adios,
Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-