Re: [stella] Arkanoid

Subject: Re: [stella] Arkanoid
From: Ben Combee <combee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 20:32:56 -0500
At 05:48 PM 8/22/2001 -0400, you wrote:
At 07:56 PM 8/22/01 +0200, Piero Cavina wrote:
At 10.40 22/08/01 -0500, Ben Combee wrote:
IIRC, that is what "Off the Wall", a late 2600 game that implements Arkanoid like game play (with dragons!) does. Everything is sideways.
Sorry, you're wrong. I'm sure that "Off the Wall" is not sideways.
So maybe we're trying to re-invent the wheel.. a good Arkanoid kernel already exists?

I have Off the Wall and can confirm that it is not sideways. It is similar to Arkanoid in that there are power-ups. However, there's only a few rows of bricks, and the ball breaks them in very un-Arkanoid-like ways, taking chunks away at a time.

I just played a round of this, and you're right -- I'm not sure what I was thinking. I really do remember a breakout like game that was sideways, but its not coming to me.

The wall damage in Off the Wall has more of a Warlords feel to it, IMHO. The game plays OK, but I think the playfield gets too busy. The power-ups do take good advantage of the 2600 -- there is a magnet powerup that lets you steer the ball, and one that makes its motion wavy, which allows it to break more of the wall.

The wall is multicolored, but each line has one color. There is a moving dragon at the top, but the ball never collides with it -- it looks like a range check when the ball is high enough. In the playfield below the bricks, there is a bird (one player) and the falling prizes (another player). The guy who acts as the paddle looks like two superimposed players, done to get more color resolution.

--
Ben Combee
Techwood Broadcasting Foundation, Austin Bureau Chief

- Archives (includes files) at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/archives/ Unsub & more at http://www.biglist.com/lists/stella/