Re: [stella] the B. Watson's problem...

Subject: Re: [stella] the B. Watson's problem...
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:46:34 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Manuel Polik wrote:

> Hi Brian!
>
> > jump movement? Do you mean the odd-looking wobble at the extreme left of the
> > movement area? That's not on purpose... If you mean you're seeing the players
> > jump around in other places, that's not on purpose (and doesn't happen on
> >                 the version of xstella I'm testing with)...
>
> > Are you using an emulator or a real VCS?
>
> That's really, really, _really_ bad. What you're seeing on xstella is
> most likely (99%) not what you'd get on the *real* thing. The output on
> Z26 is actually the way more precise instrument for that.

ergh. I didn't realise xstella was quite so inaccurate...

> We had all of this before, for example Andrew had an early QB optimised
> on StellaX, resulting on crap output on real machines (and Z26!)...
>
> With *jumping* I meant that your ship is not doing a smooth
> pixel-by-pixel movement, but jumping in blocks of some (15?) pixels at
> once. Same goes for the laser and the top tie-fighter. The * objects are
> looking strange, too. The only really smooth moving objects are the
> second tie-fighter and the rocket.

Yep, that's definitely a bug, it means HMP0/1 are probably getting updated
too late in the scanline

The * objects aren't exactly supposed to move smoothly, they're supposed to
jerk back & forth some... but they aren't supposed to move in 15 pixel
increments.

> There's something dead wrong with the positioning.

Sounds like it... I'm still really new at this, but I'm learning

> Maybe someone with a cuttle card or SC can confirm what I see on the
> real thing?
>
> You should switch to a DOS or WIN system with Z26, or test on the real
> thing. You're definitely heading for a bad surprise here.

Unfortunately, there's not room enough in here to set up my other machine
and there's not enough space on the disks in this machine to dual-boot it.
But, there's always the dining room table, once I clean it off... though
the dining room is a less-than-ideal place to do development (the cat
*will* have my attention, one way or the other!)

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-