Re: [stella] z26/PCAE on Wine/DOSemu (Offtopic?)

Subject: Re: [stella] z26/PCAE on Wine/DOSemu (Offtopic?)
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 01:25:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Rob wrote:

> Has anyone gotten Z26 to run under DOSEMU or WINE?  I tried using PCAE
> under vmware last year; sound didn't work and when I entered the debugger
> it locked the virtual machine up hard.  Dual booting isn't an option
> because my development machine is also my web, file and print server.
> Yeah, I have another home PC that runs Windows but I don't really want to
> write code using a 25" TV as a monitor.

z26 is a dos app? I've had bad luck with pure dos programs on wine (even
command.com triggers a bunch of warnings)

Why not write the code on your linux box, and use samba to share the
directory where the ROM images live, so the win box will just need a
large atari symbol icon that you click on to run your game? That's how
I'm going to set mine up when I get my room cleaned up enough to have
both machines in here (which I should be doing now, instead of
writing this message, but I have a real mess in here...)

> I've looked at the Z26 source and my current skills are definitely below
> porting that much assembler to Linux.  Here's hoping the MESS guys
> eventually get an accurate 2600 emulation going, since apparently our two
> choices right now are pirating Win98 or using inaccurate emulation :P

Hrm, I may have a look at that myself... I'm not the world's greatest
x86 asm programmer, but it'd be an interesting project. I'd probably
want to use SVGAlib or maybe direct framebuffer access (I can do
some assembly programming, but Xlib totally confuses me...)

What about PCAE? Is source available for it?

> On the 'bright' side, anyone who switches to Win2k or WinXP may very well
> have the same problems ;)

I sent my rom image to a guy who runs win2k, he got it working in either
PCAE or z26 (can't remember which)... I'll ask him next time I talk to
him...

Brian

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-