[stella] OT: Banned games

Subject: [stella] OT: Banned games
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:13:07 -0700

BTW: The reason that 'Panzer General' is banned and 'Allied General'
not, is that in 'Panzer General' you can win WW2 for the german side and
in 'Allied General' not...
<<

Imagine if any country that lost a war was not allowed to play a videogame that provided the chance for that country to have won that war. English can't play any revolutionary war games. US can't play any vietnam games. The South (US) can't play any any cival war games. Italy can't play any games that allow for Rome beating the barbarians.

As much damage as Germany caused the world during WWII, this stuff is really unnecessary. The sins of the previous generations always spoil the fun of the new generations.

There were similar debates about role playing games like AD&D and whether it should or shouldn't be allowed to role play evil characters.

There is something called the id, the ego, and the superego. Games always have appealed to the id, which is not too concerned with conscience (superego). A healthy individual is one that can keep all three in balance, and to me that may mean occasionally doing "immoral" things in videogames in order to indulge the id in a safe context. Censorship like this borders on 1984-like thought-police. Having immoral thoughts is okay now and then. Let's not fool ourselves into denying that we have them. Acting on them is not.