Re: [stella] Syncing without WSYNC

Subject: Re: [stella] Syncing without WSYNC
From: "Glenn Saunders" <cybpunks@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:47:41 -0700
That's something I've always wondered about: NTSC (and PAL?) standard says
30 interlaced frames/second, but the 2600 (and the 800, and the commodores,
etc.) instead draw 60 frames, non-interlaced.. so why don't TV stations
switch into that mode during the weather section on the news? I haven't

Probably because broadcast TV equipment is designed around interlaced video, and is very unforgiving. If I feed a 2600's composite or Y/C signal directly into the video in on a BetaSP VCR, for instance, it will complain that there is no proper sync signal.

Chris Wilkson probably has more to say on what makes a video signal interlaced or not. But it has something to do with the trail end of the last scanline being cut in half, which creates the timing to stagger the frames, even/odd. In noninterlaced video all scanlines go straight to the end. Now why there isn't more of a gap between the scanlines if it's really only showing one field I don't know. I don't know if it's just bleedover on the phosphors or the TV automatically knows to widen the scanline in that mode, but when I watch regular interlaced TV the gaps between the scanlines are far more visible.