Re: [stella] EPROMs

Subject: Re: [stella] EPROMs
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 02:33:37 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Paul Slocum wrote:

> I've done a lot of bad things to my console, and it still works
> fine.  Inserted cartridge boards upside down, installed EPROMS backwards,
> crossed address lines, shorted out power, etc.  Takes a lot to fry a 2600.
>
> -Paul

Hmm, wonder what killed the dead one I have? I get no video at all, it could
be as simple as a dead RF modulator I suppose.

When I had it apart, I noticed a couple of different sized electrolytic caps
in there. How susceptible are 20 year old electrolytics to drying up? I'm
thinking of replacing them, definitely on the dead 2600, and possibly on the
4-switch one, which works fine but has a weaker signal than the 6-switch.

Hrm, if replacing the caps doesn't fix it, what should I check next? I've
got know good ICs to swap with, but is there anything else I should check
before swapping chips? If I put a chip from the dead one into the working one
and find it's a bad chip, how likely is it that whatever killed the bad
chip would kill its replacement?

I wish I knew more about electronics... I got as far as Ohm's Law, crystal
radios, and a really rotten-sounding homemade distortion pedal for my guitar,
then I got into software...

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-