[stella] OT: Codecs

Subject: [stella] OT: Codecs
From: Glenn Saunders <cybpunks2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 19:56:18 -0700
At 10:29 PM 7/30/2001 -0400, you wrote:
DiVx is terrible! The places I hang out on IRC we rip music videos off
digital television (or sometimes vhs) and into mpg format.. VCD or SVCD..

One of the limitations of VCD (the standard) is that it's limited to 352x240 30fps. That's fine for movie transfers I guess, but for video sourced stuff it's throwing away half the framerate and half the resolution. It's no wonder then that the resulting picture looks okay, because the datarate necessary to push that resolution is relatively low compared to DVD.

SVCD sounds nice, but then you don't have a lot of space available for it on a single CD.

I haven't tried any DivX encoders so I am not qualified to judge it vs. others. But I have seen one movie online on DivX (American Beauty) and it had a dithered look to it, which was more acceptable to me than the typical blocky JPEG artefacting associated with MPEG and MJPEG-based codecs.

The new DVD+RW drives will be able to record video directly, analog to digital, onto the drives, in realtime. That looks like it will become the format of the future for high quality consumer video.

On the other hand, DiVx isn't even a standard.

Popularity has a way of deciding standards regardless of what standards bodies dictate.

-