Re: [stella] Stella at 20

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella at 20
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:26:48 -0400
At 10:29 PM 7/30/01 -0400, nj bloodline wrote:
>DiVx is terrible! The places I hang out on IRC we rip music videos off
>digital television (or sometimes vhs) and into mpg format.. VCD or SVCD..
>they are so nice looking if you use the right recording codecs. I use one
>called HUFFYUV and it's lossless. Our rips look beautiful.
>On the other hand, DiVx isn't even a standard. VCD/SVCD are.

I'd like to see people use VCD MPEG for everything just because it's the
most versatile and widely supported format, but at equivalent resolutions
DivX;-) appears almost lossless at half the file size of MPEG-1.  You have
to get down to the 1-2 megs a minute range for it to get nastier than MPEG.

I can't see it getting widespread use outside the piracy scene since using
it requires the user to download hacked pirated software, though.  VCD is
in kind of the same boat due to its VHS-like quality, but as long as you
think of it as VHS without generation loss you'll be fine.

I don't know what either one will do to Atari 2600 video, to get it vaguely
on topic ;)

As for Huffyuv, it is very handy but at half the size of uncompressed video
no one sane is going to use it to post clips on a web site for which
they're paying for bandwidth... I assume you're just capturing into it and
then converting to VCD.

Rob

-