Re: [stella] Stella at the movies

Subject: Re: [stella] Stella at the movies
From: Rob <kudla@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:09:44 -0400
At 01:43 PM 9/5/01 +0200, cybergoth@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>Second idea, based on the first:
>Do a monochrome, closed spacing, 4-char display.
>we'd now need 4*8*4 = 128 bytes!.

I've thought of doing something like this, only using the playfield (40x50)
and "ChromaColor" to get four gray levels (draw each frame twice with two
brightness levels and depending on how the pixels overlap... etc.)  At two
pages per frame you should be able to at least get a funny 1 or 2 second
loop of some kind in there, and in fact it should be easy to write a
program using perl and ImageMagick to convert a sequence of pictures into a
runnable ROM.  The only remaining question being, will it cause epileptic
seizures :)

2K of my Boing demo was 8 monochrome frames of animation, so I've sort of
already done the character one - feel free to mess with that if you like.
(At the time I didn't actually know how to do a 5 character display, so I
used the six character one and just wrote zeroes to the last player.  In
fact, now I'd probably do the same thing since I'd just waste those cycles
anyway in that kind of application.)

Rob

-