Re: [stella] TIA sound note table, now in SQL

Subject: Re: [stella] TIA sound note table, now in SQL
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 22:10:18 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> If someone thinks they can write something in VB or something that will take
> a list of notes that a song needs to use and will compare that against the
> available notes the 2600 can generate, transposing up and down if necessary,
> to find the best fit, that would be even better.  I can send that person an
> export of the database in access or comma-delimited...  As it is now it
> would be a stretch to do that with a web-based tool, although not
> impossible.

How about perl? I'm pretty handy with it, and it wouldn't be significantly
more difficult to make it a web-based tool than a standalone command-line app.
Also I know (used to know) some about music, back in my wild guitar-playing
youth...

I already had it in my mind to write a perl program that would convert a
MIDI file to Manuel's 2-voice sound driver data format, this project could
sort of get rolled into that one.

I should warn you, I've got a lot of other stuff going on (still working on
my silly spaceship game, and trying to build carts with limited soldering
skills, and working on a standard macro library to complement vcs.h), so it
may take a while to get this done, or even to get a demo site up (especially
now that my #@$#^$%& cable ISP decided to filter my port 80).

Still, I'm interested in doing it, if you want to send my a CSV-exported or
SQL dump format file of your database (no proprietary MS Access format, though,
I don't pay the microsoft tax... whatever you send me, I'll first have to get
into PostgreSQL or maybe MySQL)

Brian

---

If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?

-