Aw: Re: [stella] TIA sound note table, now in SQL

Subject: Aw: Re: [stella] TIA sound note table, now in SQL
From: cybergoth@xxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:59:53 +0200 (CEST)
Hi Glenn!

> try out various modulations of the song into the 2600's sound canvas.  The
> note values (ABCDE) center around the concert pitch standard but there is
> no point in trying to convert a song while maintaining the exact key.  It's
> probably not going to fit well.  You just have to match the intervals, the
> spacing between the notes, in the melody, and the song will remain
> recognizable.

That's the tricky part, right. The baseline of 'Ring Of Fire' is tuned one
octave down for example.

Then one note was still missing. I don't remember which it was, but what
I was doing (in priciple, these are _not_ the real values!) was this:

Assume that H3 was missing. I looked up H4 found it was +38 off tune.
I looked up H2, which was -2 off tune. Fine.

Let's say H2 had a frequency of ~45Hz. Then the missing H3 should have
~90 Hz. So I was looking for the value closest to the needed frequency,
which might have been some A#3 with 87Hz...

(I'm really no musician at all, but the end result sounded Ok
 to me... :-))

> Even though the table lists note values, it's really only the intervals
> between the notes that matter.

There's one thing you might have overlooked, at least I'm not reading this
in your mails:

_You can't mix certain distortions!_

Let's assume you play a melody from distortion 4 with some almost perfect
notes only +- 5 cent off tune. Now even when in distortion 1 would
be the perfect last missing note with a +2 cent, you can't use it!

It's like mixing a sine with a sawtooth or rectangle wave.

As you see in the 'Ring Of Fire' distortion table, I mixed
mainly distortion 1 & 7 for the baseline and
distortion 4 & 12 for the melody, which sounded 'Ok' to me.

Actually I think
there's not too much variety you can bring in there.
You can use one set of distortions for melody notes
from ocatve 4-6 and one set for baseline notes ranging
from octave 1-3. The third, 'noise' distortion, can
be used for making some drumlike sounds...

So, the first thing one should do is categorize the distortions
by 'sinelike', 'sawtoothlike' & 'noise'.

Greetings,
     Manuel

Knaller, Schnäppchen & Specials finden Sie beim Nexgo-Shopping!
http://www.nexgo.de/c/pub/redir.php/shop1

-